Le wonderful is a small cake from Belgium and the North of France. The Belgian cake consists of two airy meringues welded together by a thick layer of whipped cream, all richly covered with whipped cream and surrounded by chocolate shavings, topped with a candied cherry.
The marvelous one from the North of France has various names: head of negro, chocolate meringue ball, choco ball, harlequin… The whipped cream is replaced by a chocolate buttercream. The cake, covered with chocolate shavings, is shaped like a sphere or hemisphere.
It has been revisited by the Belgian pastry-chocolate maker Pierre Marcolini and Frédéric Vaucamps in Lille in his shop in Vieux-Lille “Aux Merveilleux de Fred”.
|Level of difficulty: easy|
|Preparation time : 45 min|
|Rest time : 2h|
|Cooking time : 2 min 30h|
|Total time : 5 min 15h|
|Ingredients: 4 / 5 people|
|3 egg whites|
|150 g sugar|
|1 pinch of salt|
|1 / 4 l very cold whole liquid cream|
|8 g of very cold mascarpone|
|1 gousse de vanille|
|100 g white chocolate|
|1 / 2 c. cream of speculoos|
Preparation of the meringue:
- Separate the whites from the yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl with a pinch of salt (or a little lemon juice) until you get a frothy consistency.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue beating for about 5 min until you obtain glossy, smooth and firm whites.
- Put in a piping bag and form discs for the base and domes to cover.
- Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 100 ° C
- Bake during 1h 30 min.
- Turn off the oven and leave in the oven 1 h more.
Preparation of the speculoos cream:
- Whip the cold cream, the cold mascarpone and the vanilla seeds extracted from the vanilla pod with a very cold whisk, until you obtain a very firm cream.
- Add the cream of speculoos to the whipped cream and whisk again for a few minutes.
- Garnish the base, place the dome on top and cover everything with a thin layer of speculoos cream.
- Add the white chocolate chips and chill at least 2h.
- Serve and enjoy!