Le bagel or baguel is a ring-shaped bun about ten centimeters in diameter with a very firm texture, made from a natural sourdough dough, baked briefly in water before being placed in the oven.
These buns originate from Central Europe. Their recipe was taken by Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe to the United States and Canada. They are usually flavored with sesame, caraway or poppy seeds and garnished with cottage cheese and smoked salmon.
Linguist Leo Rosten identified the first mention of the Polish word bajgiel derived from Yiddish bagel in sources of the Jewish community of Krakow in 1610, this bread being offered to women who gave birth.
The dough of the Montreal bagel contains malt and egg and is slightly sweet. It is scalded in water softened with honey and then cooked in a wood oven. The New York bagel is lightly salted, scalded in plain water, and slightly more puffy and crispier than the Montreal one.
|Level of difficulty: easy|
|Preparation time : 25 min|
|Rest time : 4 hours|
|Cooking time : 25 min|
|Total time : 4 50 h min|
|Ingredients: 6 people|
|350 g flour Manitoba|
|250 ml of water|
|6 g baker's dry yeast|
|1 c. à c. de sel|
|1 c. to c. sugar|
|1 egg yolk|
|poppy seeds, flax, sesame or chia|
|200 g smoked salmon|
|200 g of cheese spread (Philadelphia)|
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the sugar and the baking powder dissolved in a little water.
- Add salt, mix with a fork, then add lukewarm water.
- Continue mixing with the fork to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Knead by hand until the dough comes off the edges. If necessary, add another pinch of flour.
- Place the ball in a bowl covered with plastic film.
- Raise to a temperature of 28 ° C for about 3 h. The dough must double in volume.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and form a smooth ball.
- Expand balls of 75 to 80 g.
- Slightly flatten and make a hole with your fingers in the center and widen it until you get circles of pasta 10 cm in diameter and a hole 5 cm in diameter).
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Let rise 1 h at 28 ° C. Bagels must double in size.
- Put a large pot of water to boil.
- Poach the bagels two by two in simmering water for 30 s on each side.
- Drain and return to the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush with egg white and cover with seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Bake for about 20 min, then increase the temperature to 200 ° C and put on top of the oven to brown slightly.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool during 15 min.
- Add a layer of cheese spread, salad and sliced salmon.
- Serve and enjoy!