The puffed apples are potatoes, cut into thin slices, fried twice in oil to make them swell.
They are served as an accompaniment to meat or fish dishes.
Their creation would be fortuitous. On August 24, 1837, during the "pre-inauguration" of the line from Paris to Saint-Germain-en-Laye by Queen Marie-Amélie, grilled cutlets with fries were on the menu of the Pavillon Henri IV restaurant in Saint -Germain-en-Laye.
The chef of the restaurant Collinet began to fry the potatoes cut into thin slices at the appointed time but, warned that the inaugural train would be late, he stopped the frying. He set aside the half-fried potato slices and put them in the drain for later frying. When the time came, he plunged the potato slices back into the hot fat and noticed that they swelled like balls, while taking on a beautiful golden color. Puffed apples were born!
|Level of difficulty: easy|
|Preparation time : 30 min|
|Rest time : -|
|Cooking time : 10 min|
|Total time : 40 min|
|Ingredients: 6 people|
|4 rounded Bintje potatoes|
|huile de friture|
- Heat the oil to 180 ° C.
- Peel potatoes.
- Do not wash them.
- Cut into thin slices with a mandolin (maximum 2 mm thick, almost transparent).
- Arrange on a worktop in two rows.
- Beat the egg white with a fork and brush the top of each slice with a brush.
- Sprinkle the potato slices with potato starch. Remove with dry brush the overflow of potato starch.
- Iron the top of the top row potato slices with egg white.
- Peel off a slice of the bottom row and affix it to the slice of the top row.
- Smooth so that there is no more air and glue them together. Repeat the operation.
- Cut out the cookie cutter giving them a round shape.
- Remove the excess potato around the cuts.
- Take off with the spatula the washers of the worktop.
- At 180 ° C, immerse the rings, two by two, in the oil bath.
- When they rise to the surface, constantly douse them with hot oil so that they continue to swell.
- Once inflated and well browned, place on paper towels.
- When ready to serve, iron the frying for a few seconds so that they round out again and become crispy.
- Salt and serve.
- To taste!