Le Taboulé is a salad or a cold dish made from parsley, mint and bulgur (cracked wheat), from Levantine cuisine. It is most often served with romaine lettuce, but also with white cabbage leaves or fresh grape leaves.
Specialty of Lebanese and Syrian origin, the term “tabbouleh” comes from the northern Levantine Arabic dialect. tabūleh, derived from the verb tabbala meaning "to season".
Before the introduction of tomatoes in the Levant, tabbouleh was prepared with a lot of flat-leaf parsley, fresh mint, white onions, a little brown bulgur, lemon juice, olive oil and a pinch. salt. Its popularity is due to the fact that its ingredients are found in all vegetable gardens, ensuring a daily ration of fresh vegetables at moderate cost.
There are many variations of tabbouleh, some predominantly of parsley (Lebanese, Syrian or Armenian tabbouleh), others of cereals (barren Turkish, tabbouleh “oriental”, often served in France).
|Level of difficulty: easy|
|Preparation time : 35 min|
|Rest time : 3 15 h min|
|Cooking time : -|
|Total time : 35 min + 3 h 15min (rest)|
|Ingredients: 10 people|
|300 g bulgur|
|6 white onions|
|2 bunches of mint|
|2 bunches of parsley|
|1 yellow pepper|
|100 g of raisins|
|3 big lemons|
|175 ml olive oil|
|1,5 c. à c. de sel|
|1,5 pinch of pepper|
- Wash the bulgur in cold water and drain.
- Place in a bowl and cover with cold water (225 ml). Leave to soak in water for about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, put the raisins to soak in cold water.
- Squeeze the lemon juice.
- Hull the parsley and chop the mint into two small bowls.
- Wash, cut in half and remove the seeds from the tomatoes. Cut into small pieces.
- Chop the onions and cut the peppers into small cubes.
- Put the bulgur in a strainer, drain and wring with your fingers.
- Put in a large bowl and add parsley, mint, tomatoes, pepper, onions and drained raisins.
- In a bowl, add salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Mix and pour into the large bowl containing the bulgur.
- Mix well and refrigerate at least 2 h.
- Serve and enjoy!