Le pastis béarnais ou pastis stuffs is a cake made from flour, corn starch, sugar, butter, milk, eggs, yeast, anise, rum and orange blossom water.
Originally from Béarn, it has some differences with Landes or Quercy pastis, because it is smoother and flavored with anise, rum, vanilla. In Gascon, the term pastis means “dough” or “cake”. The pastis "bourrit" (the dough being left 3 to 4 days to ferment, it is said boiled or "bourrit" in Béarnais), containing butter, was made for special occasions: engagements, weddings, baptisms, communions, local festivals … Pastis has this characteristic shape, because it is baked in a brioche mold. Originally flavored with vanilla and rum, it was later flavored with anise.
Easy to prepare, soft, deliciously flavored, it is perfect for snacks of the day.
|Level of difficulty: easy|
|Preparation time : 35 min|
|Rest time : 4 days|
|Cooking time : 55 min|
|Total time : 1 30 h min + 4 days (lifting)|
|Ingredients: 6 people|
|40 g flour|
|40 lukewarm milk|
|1/2 sachet of dehydrated baker's yeast|
|250 g flour|
|150 g of eggs (3 eggs)|
|100 g butter|
|100 g powdered sugar|
|10 ml of rum|
|3 vanilla pods|
|5 g of pastis or anise syrup|
|1 pinch of salt|
- In a bowl, dilute the yeast in the lukewarm milk (at 28-30 ° C). Leave for a few minutes and add the flour. Mix well,
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 24 hours.
- In a bowl, blanch the eggs with the sugar.
- Add the rum, anise, salt, cooled melted butter, vanilla beans.
- Mix well then add the sourdough.
- Gradually add the flour and mix for 20 min until you get a soft dough that comes off the walls.
- Place the dough in a bowl.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for 2 to 3 days in a warm place (25 ° C), degassing the dough 2 or 3 times between each rise.
- Break the dough and place in a mold about 1 cm in diameter, previously buttered.
- Let rise for about 3 hours in a warm place then cover with coarse sugar.
- Preheat the oven in static mode to 160 ° C.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Go out and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
Quote about cooking:
“To cook well you need good ingredients, a palate, heart and friends.”Pierre Perret