Le escoubilles stew is a stew made with vegetables and meats, using the leftovers of all the foods of the week.
The term scoubilles designates kitchen scraps (parts of poultry not kept for roasting, such as gizzards, legs or fins; asparagus tails, etc.).
Specialty of the Hérault valley, each village has its recipe: in St-Guilhem, bitter olives are used. To Aniane, it is eaten in crumble ...Formerly, it often gave rise to a ritual: the villagers prepared a stew, which was then given to the baker in charge of wrapping it in a puff pastry which he baked in his bread oven. At mealtime, each villager would collect their share.
|Level of difficulty: easy|
|Preparation time : 30 min|
|Rest time : -|
|Cooking time : 1 45 h min|
|Total time : 2 15 h min|
|6 / 8 people|
|300 g (2/3 pound) veal|
|300 g (2/3 pound) beef|
|crumb of bread|
|garlic / parsley|
|dried porcini mushrooms|
|200 g (1/2 pound) pork loin|
|6 chicken or duck fins|
|150 g (1/3 pound) chicken gizzards|
|1 big onion|
|5 or 6 carrots|
|green and black olives|
|2 bay leaves / thyme|
- DaIn a bowl, make meatballs with the veal, beef, 1 egg, breadcrumbs, garlic and parsley.
- Flour and brown in a pan. Put aside.
- Soak a few dried porcini mushrooms in water and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, pour a little olive oil and brown the pork loin cut into pieces, the chicken or duck fins, the chicken gizzards, salt and pepper.
- Once browned, take the meats out of the pot.
- Instead, brown an onion, the carrots cut into sticks and a celery branch cut into pieces.
- Brown well then cover with water and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add all the meats as well as the potatoes cut into cubes, the drained porcini mushrooms, a large handful of green and black olives, a little thyme and the bay leaves.
- Simmer over low heat for another 1 hour.
- Add the meatballs and continue cooking for another 15 min.
- Serve and enjoy.
Quote about cooking:
“If you think right, you cook well. "Ferran Adrià