The almond panellets are small cakes made from marzipan, coated with crushed almonds, egg and icing sugar.
Panellets (Catalan term meaning "small bread") are a traditional dessert for All Saints' Day, eaten on the occasion of Castanyada, in Catalonia, in Ibiza, in the Valencian Community, and in Aragon, with chestnuts and sweet potatoes.
They have existed at least since the XNUMXth century, when they were considered a blessed food to be shared after certain sacred festivals (panellets de Sant Marc and panellets de la Santa Creu). If they are traditionally covered with pine nuts, variants exist with a different shape: round (pine nuts), elongated (almonds), in the shape of small mountains (coconut), a little flat with a whole hazelnut in the center (hazelnuts).
Easy to prepare, sweet and delicious, panellets can be enjoyed throughout the day.
|Level of difficulty: easy|
|Preparation time : 30 min|
|Rest time : 3 hours|
|Cooking time : 5 min|
|Total time : 35 min + 3 h (rest)|
|Almond paste :|
|200 g raw peeled almonds|
|100 g of potatoes|
|150 g icing sugar|
|1 lemon (peel)|
|100 g raw peeled almonds|
- Cut 100 g of almonds into small pieces.
- Put the washed potato in a glass container with a lid. Cook in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Peel the still hot potato with a small knife.
- Mash the potato.
- Wash the lemon and grate the zest.
- Reduce the almonds to a powder.
- Mix the lemon zest with the sugar and then with the mashed potatoes.
- Gradually add the ground almonds and knead until a smooth dough is obtained.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hour.
- Preheat the oven in static mode to 200 ° C.
- Put a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a work surface sprinkled with icing sugar, knead the marzipan and form a sausage about 2 cm in diameter.
- Cut the sausage into sections 4 cm long.
- Pass each panellet one by one in the beaten egg then coat with crushed almonds.
- Place each panellet on the baking sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 5 minutes until they take on a beautiful golden color.
- Take out of the oven and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
Quote about cooking:
“The main ingredient in good home cooking is love; love towards those for whom you cook. ”Sophia Loren