The panellets ("Buns" in Catalan) are small round cakes made from powdered almonds, potatoes, icing sugar, egg whites and coconut.
Traditional Catalan dessert of All Saints 'Day, eaten on the occasion of Castanyada (popular festival celebrated the day before or on All Saints' Day, resulting from an ancient funeral ritual feast) in Catalonia, Ibiza, Valencia and Aragon. The most common are coated with pine nuts and topped with egg white. Panellets are usually accompanied by sweet wine, such as moscatell, mistela, vi de missa or vi ranci.
Panellets have existed at least since the XNUMXth century, considered then as a blessed food to be shared after certain sacred festivals (panellets de Sant Marc and de la Santa Creu).
|Difficulty level: low|
|Preparation time : 20 min|
|Rest time : 3 hours|
|Cooking time : 10 min|
|Total time : 30 min + 3 h (rest)|
|Ingredients: about 15 cookies|
|200 g ground almonds|
|100 g de pomme de terre|
|150 g icing sugar|
|75 g de noix de coco râpée|
|1 egg yolk|
- Wash the potatoes and place in a saucepan filled with water.
- Boil until the potatoes are tender.
- Peel the potatoes and pass through a vegetable mill to obtain the finest mash possible.
- Wash the lemon, pat dry and grate the zest, being careful not to pick up the bitter white part.
- In a bowl, add the mashed potatoes, icing sugar and lemon zest. Knead then gradually incorporate the almond powder and finally the grated coconut until obtaining a homogeneous dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic film and put in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven in static mode to 170 ° C.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap and cut into pieces of about 20 g. Shape into small triangles.
- Brush with beaten egg yolk and cover with grated coconut.
- Bake for about 10 min until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy!