La pie conversation is a pastry made from puff pastry garnished with frangipane cream, covered with royal icing and strips of pasta placed in crosses.
It was created in 1774 to celebrate the publication of Mme Louise d'Epinay's book, Emilie's conversations, book of dialogues composed for the education of his granddaughter advocating a natural educational approach.
|Level of difficulty: easy|
|Preparation time : 15 min|
|Rest time : 30 min|
|Cooking time : 35 min|
|Total time : 1 min 20h|
|Ingredients: 5 / 6 people|
|1 roll of puff pastry|
|40 g sweet butter|
|35 g cane sugar|
|40 g almond powder|
|1 small egg|
|20 g whipping cream|
|15 ml white rum|
|1 / 2 lemon zest|
|60 g icing sugar|
|1 egg white|
|8 g flour|
Preparation of the almond cream:
- Whisk the softened butter with the cane sugar until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Add the egg, almond powder, cream, rum and grated lemon zest.
- Mix quickly (without over-beating) with a spatula.
- Leave the cream at room temperature.
Préparation de la pâte:
- Prepare a round mold of 18 cm diameter (lined with parchment paper and lightly butter).
- Cut the puff pastry in two equal parts and form two discs about 20 cm in diameter.
- Arrange the first disc slightly above the edges. Recover the excess dough and set aside.
- Pour the almond cream on the first disc of dough.
- Cover with the other disc of dough.
- Press lightly with your hands to remove air and seal both edges at the junction of the mold.
- Gently remove the excess dough like that of the first disc which will be used to make strips to place on the upper part of the cake.
- Refrigerate time to prepare icing.
- With the leftover dough collected, cut strips 5 mm thick.
- In a bowl, put the icing sugar and the flour, lightly beat the egg white and mix everything until you obtain a liquid cream.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and pour in the royal icing.
- Place the dough strips in braces and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Bake during 40 at 45 min.
- Monitor the progress of cooking.
- If after 30 at 35 min, the cake begins to brown, cover with parchment paper and finish cooking.
- Turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven again 5 min.
- Place on a serving platter.
- Serve warm or cold.
- To taste!